3GPP IMS has been buzzing in the past 18 months. I believe this is a good time to round up the IMS deployments around the world and try to summarize them in a short post.
The list below is not a complete list. Please feel free to add more names to the list by dropping a comment and I will update the post.
However, the list vindicates the fact that IMS is no longer a piped dream and has come of age. More and more carriers around the world have “silently” adopted IMS as the platform of choice for next generation communications and services.
1. Vodafone in the Czech Republic have Ericsson’s IMS infrastructure and Atos Origin NGIN platform deployed for business customers.
2. T-Com Hungary has an IMS deployment.
3. China Mobile has deployed Huawei’s IMS infrastructure.
4. Verizon in the USA have a multi-vendor supplied IMS core.
5. AT&T had deployed IMS long back and also deployed services such as UVerse and Video Sharing.
6. Telekom Malaysia deployed Huawei’s IMS core network platform.
7. Alcatel-Lucent has deployed its end-to-end IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) solution with Vietnam Posts & Telecommunications Corporation Group (VNPT) and its subsidiary Vietnam Telecom National (VTN)
8. Atheeb was the first operator to start IMS network deployment and commercial operation . Ethiad Atheeb Telecom (Atheeb) is the second largest fixed-line operator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It acquired its license in 2007, and holds a 3.5GHz spectrum across 13 regional divisions within the Kingdom. Atheeb’s licence permits fixed and wireless services such as voice telephone communications, data services, internet services, and broadband internet services via WiMAX 802.16e technology. Atheeb works on ZTE IMS platform ,Motorola’s WiMAX system and WIPRO’s OSS/BSS
9. Orange Netherlands (Now France Telecom) has an IMS deployment which has matured over the years.
10. Portugal Telecom deployed residential telephone services on IMS
11. MTN Rwanda has a MMTel solution enhanced with Presence services.
12. Optimus Portugal has their WebPhone service called TAG deployed on IMS
13. In Brazil, Alcatel-Lucent started to deploy an IMS network at Oi (former Brasil Telecom) to replace 385 legacy switch and provide service to 500K subscribers.
14. YTL Communications (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) has deployed Samsung IMS on a mobile WiMAX access network.
15. Telecom Italia in Italy provides Contact Center services based on IMS infrastructure
16. Wateen Pakistan has a WiMAX access network providing voice services over an IMS core
17. Softbank Mobile Corporation in Japan has an IMS network for several years.
18. Telia Sonera has an IMS network from Nokia Siemens Networks in addition to their OneNDS product. They serve customers in six countries – Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden.
In addition to these, US cable players have been exploring Packet Cable based access to the IMS core to provide entertainment services. Updates on them will be posted as more information emerges.
Please feel free to add more names to this list so that it can keep evolving.